Friday, March 1, 2013

The Boog

Since my last couple of posts seemed so doom and gloom, I thought I would lighten it up a little bit and dedicate this post to my 3 year old son Carter -aka "the boog". Now, I did NOT come up with this nickname! My husband is to blame for this. Since Carter was a baby Richard has called him many names - Booger, Sugar Booger, Boogie Butt, Boogie and the boog. Do you see a common theme here? It was all sweet and cute when he was little, but the older he gets the more these names don't seem right. Who wants to be in high school and called "Booger"? I suppose I'll worry about that another time.

This little man is a champ! He has grown up so much over the past few months most likely because he had to. While I was on bed rest in the hospital Carter was bounced back and forth between our home, my dad's house, and my mom's house. Any routine that may have been established once upon a time was thrown out the window. Good eating habits...gone. Early bedtime...gone. We are still trying to get back on track. The advantage to being only 3 is that he likely won't remember this time and he adapts easily to any environment. As long as he is fed and played with he is happy...geez, I just made him sound like a dog! So, not only was his whole world turned upside down for those weeks, add a baby brother to the mix. Carter loves his baby bubba a ton. All day he says "look...it's baby bubba, I love him!" He snuggles him, kisses him, and holds him any chance he gets. However, this boy has gone NUTS! Jealousy maybe? Terrible threes? I don't know what it is, but he's bonkers! Have you ever had those days where you feel like you've done nothing but scold your kids all day? I think that's more often here these days! "Carter stop!" "Carter no!" "Carter, leave your baby bubba alone!" I think he tries to set up booby traps all over the house, and then hides behind the corner waiting and watching for me to take a tumble! He says that he is building gates and that I just don't know how to open them. Hmmmm...I don't know about that one. He likes to go from room to room pretending he's a destructible dinosaur. This one is loads of fun! (Insert sarcastic voice). He keeps me on my toes...that's for sure! Without fail, he always needs to poop when I'm feeding Camden. Getting him potty trained was a HUGE deal, so I definitely don't want him to regress. So, when my 3 year old comes up to me and says "momma, I need to poop" I am presented with a dilemma. Do I stop feeding the baby who is very difficult to feed already, or do I help Carter? Well, I decide to let Carter go by himself because I know that if I stop feeding Camden, there is a big chance I won't get him to eat again. Leaving a 3 year old to his own devices when it comes to pooping equals epic disaster! I won't go into details, but lets just say the next half hour was enough to make me want to put Camden down next time to help Carter! Gotta love it!

Some of Carter's favorite phrases lately:

"That's silly business!"
"What you say?"
"I can't pick up my toys...I'm too busy today."
"Mommy, your clothes don't look good." (Maybe its all the sweats and pajama pants I've been sporting lately)
"Hello...Dangerous!"
"Stop talking. I don't feel like talking today!"
"Mama, if I have to tell you one more time I'm gonna give you a spanking."
      

I feel so guilty lately dragging him to doctors appts, putting him second when I'm taking care of Camden, and just for not being able to be there for him 100% like I used to. His whole world has been changed and all things considered he has been awesome through it all. He has such a strong character like his daddy. He has learned to become self sufficient in so many areas, because let's face it...no one has time to wait for snacks and apple juice. He has a ginormous heart. He has shown me the true meaning of unconditional love by the way he loves Camden. He sees his little brother as the perfect little brother he is. He doesn't see disability or different. Seeing the world through Carter's eyes is a refreshing and beautiful sight. I love this boy to the moon and back. Words do not do justice to explain how much joy this boy has brought our family. I'm so lucky that he is Camden's big brother because he is patient, kind, loving, passionate, thoughtful...the list goes on forever. These two boys will have an inseparable bond of brotherhood. I look forward to watching both of my sons blossom.

Carter...I love you son...you are my whole world!



 
 
 

 
 
 

 
 
 

 
 
 

 
 
 

 
 
 

 
 
 

 
 
 

 
 
 

 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. That picture of Carter licking the bunny is the best!!! Hubby started calling C variations of booger nicknames and I have the same fear for the future. Not so cute on a grown person. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tongue was out before I could stop him! Definitely one of his best pics!

      Delete