Monday, July 1, 2013

A Sign

My drive to work is over an hour long in the wee hours of the morning. I usually spend most of this time listening to music so I can stay awake. Every once in a while I will turn the music off so it's quiet and I can just think. Thinking is pretty dangerous for me these days. My mind wanders off to places it shouldn't go. The other day was one of those days. I was thinking of Camden and Carter and their future. I didn't really get sad, but for some reason I just started crying. I've said it before, but I'm a bit of a cry baby. It's even worse now. I think I just started getting worried because I really don't know what to expect for Camden's future. I know I could say the same for Carter, but his is probably a bit more predictable than his brother's. Then I started thanking God for all of my blessings and asking Him to ease my worries. I asked Him to give me a sign to let me know that everything will be okay and to stop worrying so much. I arrived at work and went about my business as usual to start the morning. As I was charting at the desk I see a young boy roll by in a wagon out of the corner of my eye. I look up and he gives me the biggest smile and waves...and he had Ds. Then he was gone. Was that my sign? I thought about getting up and following behind them so I could talk to his mom. I really didn't want to bother them though, so I decided against it. Actually I was more scared than anything. I don't really know why but I started to get those nervous butterflies in my stomach. I guess it's because I haven't actually approached a random stranger about this before. So, I just let it go. Maybe five minutes later the mom comes and asks me if I could watch her son for a few minutes so she could run to the bathroom. Okay, this has definitely got to be my sign. Some would say it's coincidence, but I would argue otherwise. I went to play with the young boy who was just amazing. It was obvious that there were some developmental delays and medical complications, but none of that mattered. He was a smart cookie. He could use sign language quite well and his smile just melted your heart. When the mom came back I gathered up the courage to tell her about Camden. She smiled at me and said "how wonderful". She told me that her son is the best thing that has happened to her family and that she would never change a thing about him. I could tell she wasn't sugar coating things to make me feel better. You could see her eyes light up when she talked about her son. She then got a little teary-eyed and said that her little boy brought her entire family to the Lord. She said her son would start kindergarten this coming fall in a typical classroom with the help of an aide. She gave me a lot of good advice and I walked away feeling pretty great. This was really the first time I have spoken to a parent with a child much older than Camden in a one on one setting. Most of the time it's at an event with a lot of commotion going on in the background which makes it hard to focus. I was very thankful for this encounter. He really is listening.

                                  
                                
   


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I definitely think so! It was kind of crazy! :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It definitely was! I don't know why I was so nervous about it. :)

      Delete
  3. That was definitely not a coincidence, your prayers were heard. Such a beautiful experience, thank you for sharing. I can tell you I had many, many fears about Russell's future in the beginning. It was like every time I thought too far down the road my stomach would turn a little...But the older he gets the more those fears seem to evaporate. His life seems more and more amazing as time goes by and I just feel calm about his future and what ever it may hold. It will be the same for you as Camden grows :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny. You words are always so comforting! I love reading blogs like yours because they remind me that Camden will do great too.

      Delete
  4. Diane - this gave me goosebumps and made me tear up a bit too! What a wonderful sign! Isn't it amazing how the Lord guides us every day and how He offers up bits and pieces of strength throughout each experience? Thank you for sharing and God Bless! Camdem is getting cuter and cuter all the time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is amazing Kristin! He is there listening to every need and prayer and sometimes I just need to open up my eyes to see what he's trying to show me! I read your story about the light... talk about goosebumps!!!

      Delete