Saturday, March 23, 2013

New Friends

It has been a pretty busy couple of days. On Thursday we had a pulmonology appt in the morning and then our very first Ds group gathering that evening. Then on Friday we finally had our evaluation by ECI...which I'll talk about in another post.

The pulmonology appt was pretty boring (although Camden would argue otherwise). This was for his last synagis vaccine of the season. My sweet boy hardly ever cries...except with shots. In fact, I almost didn't know if he could cry until he got his first shot. When he cries though, he means serious business. Parts of his face turn white and blue from holding his breath and screaming so loud. I was so happy that this was his last round of this vaccine, until I remembered that he gets his 4 month vaccines next week. Boo! Anyhow, they weighed him before hand and he has now hit 11 pounds even! I've been so stressed about him not eating enough  (only about 17-20 ounces a day) but apparently we are doing something right! After the appt I took him to visit my friends at work since we were there and it was so nice to see everyone. It was really great how they just loved on him...I still get nervous about what others think when they see him. I should know better by now. I go back to work Sunday and seeing everyone made me realize how much I miss them, but I'm extremely sad about leaving Camden. A few things have changed since I've been gone in the last 5 months and I hope the first day back goes smoothly. I also got to eat lunch with a couple of friends and it was nice to have adult talk!


Poor baby didn't know what was coming



Thursday was also World Down Syndrome Day and one the local groups that we were wanting to join was having a swim party. We thought this would be the perfect opportunity to make our first appearance. The group is in Abilene and is called The Upside Down Club. Since we live in the middle of nowhere, our resources are pretty limited. Abilene is about an 1 hour 45 minutes away and Fort Worth is 1 hour 20 minutes away. We plan on getting involved in both places. My husband has a very good friend that lives in Abilene so it's a perfect opportunity to go to a meeting and visit friends. I was pretty excited to go to our first gathering until it was time to go. I suddenly got this sick feeling in my stomach and became anxious. I really wanted to chicken out. I didn't know if I was ready for this. I felt like this was a big step and I wasn't sure it was time. I think I was mainly scared to see older children with Ds to be honest. I didn't know what to expect. I wanted to keep Camden in a bubble. Since I had already committed, I decided to go. It helped that Richard was excited about it and that calmed me some. So, off we drove to the YMCA in Abilene. There was a great turnout and everyone was so amazing. We were welcomed with open arms. I was a bit timid at first, but the more I conversed with other parents the more comfortable I became. I met several little ones with Ds and they were all just so great. I quickly felt at home and started to actually have fun. I can tell that these individuals are going to be great resources and best of all, great friends. I look forward to getting to know them better! Richard didn't swim since he preferred to be on Camden duty, so it was just Carter and I in the pool. All the kids had a blast. It was great to see them all laughing and playing together. The only bad thing was the 1 hour and 45 minute drive home. I think next time we will get a hotel!



 
 
 

 
 
 



2 comments:

  1. I remember feeling the same way about meeting older kids with Ds! Nervous, and not sure what to expect. But it was turned out to be so good - and reassuring to meet them - and to meet their moms. I'm so glad you had a good first event! It stinks that you have to drive so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think it's a big step to take when you are new to it all! I think it helped that it was very casual and laid back. I do wish we were closer though. It gives us an excuse to make it into a trip I guess. ;)

      Delete