Friday, March 15, 2013

Chunky Monkey

Yep...I'm talking about my boy...he's a little chunky monkey! We went to the Cardiologist yesterday and this was the first time we have had a weight check in 3 weeks. That doesn't seem like a long time, but when you were used to getting weight checks 1-2 times a week, 3 weeks seems like an eternity. Camden weighed in at 10 pounds 9 ounces! He gained 2 pounds in 3 weeks which is amazing! I have no doubt in my mind that it's all due to the rice we have to add to his milk, but going up in numbers on the scale is a good thing and we will take it. Now I know some might think that 10 pound is not chunky by any means, but when you start at 3 pounds, it is. Where is he on the growth charts you might ask? Well, that's a tough one. There are 3 different charts...a "typical" chart, a preemie chart, and a Ds chart. Kiddos with Ds are plotted on their own growth chart because they grow on a different curve than "typical" children. A preemie growth chart is used to account for their adjusted age. Camden is actually 15 weeks, but his adjusted age is 7 weeks since he was 8 weeks early. Too many numbers...I know. On the Ds chart for his adjusted age he falls right at the 75% for height and weight. On the typical growth chart he is right around 50%. So that means my boy is doing fantastic! One very happy momma here!






Nothing much else happened at the cardio appointment. Dr C listened to his heart and said he was pleased with his weight gain and that he wants to see us in a month for another echocardiogram. It will be nice when we can start spreading our cardio appointments to every few months instead of every month. I decided to reschedule the pulmonology appt to next week because....well...I just didn't feel like going this week. It's only for his synagis vaccine, but we have to drive an hour and twenty minutes for said vaccine, and I'm just tired. I have learned that its okay to take a break if needed and I felt it was needed. So, we will tackle that one next week.

We had some friends over for a play date this week too. The weather has been so nice this week and we definitely want to take advantage of it! I think it's supposed to be in the 80's the next few days. It's Texas though, so don't put up your winter coats just yet. Thanks Keetin, Jaicey, and Tiffany for coming to play with Carter!







I hit another emotional low this week (I know what you're thinking...I seem to hit those a lot). I got connected to a wonderful lady names Barbi who is the NPP coordinator for the DSPNT. She sent me a new parent packet in the mail which I received a couple of days ago. As I opened the package, the tears came flooding. I was taken back to the beginning. I was reminded of the day I was told Camden has Ds. I think it was because of the..."congratulations"..."new parent of a baby with Down syndrome"...types of phrases that dis me in. I don't know what I was expecting when I opened it. I mean duh, it's a "new parent packet". The tears only lasted a short minute before I started rummaging though the goodies. There was a hat with booties, a blanket, two books, and a huge binder with tons of information and resources. It was a pretty awesome package actually. I haven't had time to sit down a flip through everything, but I will. Thanks Barbi!






Richard's birthday was yesterday and dare I say...he turned 46. What an old fart! Just kidding baby...I love you! We didn't do much. In fact we didn't do anything at all. Actually, we spent time together as a family and that's the best gift of all! Today is our 5 year anniversary. I'm not sure what's on the books for today, but I just want to say:

"I love you Richard more than words can say. I thank God everyday for bringing you into my life. I could not have picked a better husband for me or father for our children. You are my rock, my soul mate, my best friend...my everything. Here's to a lifetime of love and happiness. I love you!"





 
 

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the weight gains for Camden!!

    I laughed when you mentioned all the numbers...if there is one thing I wish I could have done to prepare for a baby with DS, it would be to get better at math. :)

    Happy birthday to Daddy, too!!

    Peace,
    LBD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Even while I was typing this, I confused myself! I'm pretty sure I got something wrong in there. I especially have a hard time keeping up with his "adjusted" age. I feel like I never really know how old he is supposed to be! :)

      Delete