Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Heavy Heart

I don't think I have ever posted twice in one day, mostly because I don't have that much to say. Today is a different day. My heart has been heavy today. I'm not throwing myself my usual pity party...it's others that are on my mind. If you read my last post, you already know about sweet Evan. That little boy has been through more in his three months of life than some people will go through ever. Evan is being put back on the ventilator tonight and will have major heart surgery again next week. His sweet mom thought they were getting closer to going home, but God has other plans. That boy is a fighter!

There is another mom on my mind whose son's name is Eli. They found out today that sweet Eli is having Infantile Spasms. This is obviously something you don't want to deal with if you don't have to. My heart goes out to Eli and his family. The good news is that they caught it early and can begin treatment right away!

The main reason my heart is heavy is because of my boss and friend...Jodie. This is a woman who has been through more than anyone should have to. Oh man, where do I start. Jodie lost her sweet four year old baby girl about two years ago. I'm not going to go into details about Lilly's passing because there is no need to. Losing a child is the most devastating thing that can happen to a person. It was beyond heartbreaking. There was nothing you could say or do to comfort Jodie. The best we could do was just to be there. This was hard on all of us that work together. As if that were not enough, Jodie and her husband then separated. It doesn't end there though. Several months ago Jodie was diagnosed with colon cancer. It had already spread when she received the diagnosis and she has been receiving aggressive treatment ever since. Each round of chemo has basically failed. With every new scan, she receives unfavorable news. Does she give up? No. Jodie is a woman of faith and believes that our Father has a purpose for her. She pushes on and fights even when she is sill grieving the loss of a child. She continues to come to work because she has to. She praises and believes in the Lord even when she is in extreme pain, exhausted, losing her hair and just feeling like crap. She recently started a new investigational study to see if this was the answer. These days she feels even worse and doesn't believe it is working. Yet, she continues to press on. Why does one person have to bear so much? I admire Jodie's strength and perseverance. She never loses faith. Jodie is a selfless person. She has given me words of comfort many times since finding out about Camden's diagnosis. She told me she was thinking of us and praying for us all while dealing with much bigger problems of her own. She gave me permission to write this because what I really wanted to do is ask you all for prayers. I don't know what the future holds for Jodie and her family, but I do believe in the power of prayer. Please, if you have a moment say a prayer for Jodie. Jodie...we love you.

"Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe. I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings." - Psalm 91:1-2

2 comments:

  1. My heart breaks more for her everyday. I've never met such a strong person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...she has been on my mind everyday. Every time I feel sorry for myself I think of Jodie and what an amazing woman she is and all that she's been through. I wish I could do more for her.

      Delete