Wednesday, May 8, 2013

"I wore a tie"

Dad here...

For years and years I wore a tie; and I have a son with Down syndrome. I worked in the Corporate world and the tie seemed to command presence, respect, acknowledgement. When going into public places, people seemed to be friendly and smile. I suppose the tie gave the perception of success.

I now am self employed, dirty and if lucky wear a $2 shirt; and I have a son with Down syndrome. The same public places I venture now get different glances; glances with frowns, glances of non acknowledgement and shuns. Can you imagine a child a little different, a little special, and the looks they get?

As I age, I have learned looks and perception mean very little to me. What is important is Salvation, Family and Friends. I too years ago would probably have viewed Down syndrome a little differently. After all, I wore a tie, I have three older sons whom excel, whom stand out in a lot of ways, a lot like the tie.

Now, with my "dirty shirt", I cannot express the feelings I get staring into the eyes of my son with Down syndrome. The innocence, the good looks, the smile. I have learned packages come in many shapes and sizes, and what a blessing it is to have this child! I see children now with a "specialty" and instantly a smile comes to my face.

I wouldn't change a thing. Down syndrome is a blessing. God always has a purpose, even though sometimes we don't know exactly what it is. In the Bible, time and again the "special package" is always the stand out. John the Baptist wore a Burlap sack; King David was a runt; Jesus hung with sinners. I view Down syndrome as I do that tie, that the looks and the perception mean very little. Its whats inside that matters. And by the way, if you need any ties, please feel free to email.






4 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. That last paragraph, perfect. Loved this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I had to edit to make sure people knew it was dad. I don't wear ties and I'm definitely not that good of a writer. :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Amber! I'll have to tell Richard! :)

      Delete