Monday, September 1, 2014

Thanks Son

Well Carter survived his first week of school and mommy did too. He started Pre-k on Monday. Now I know most think it's only pre-k, but he's gone folks. He starts at 8 am with the rest of them and goes until 3:20pm every day. It seems like so much for pre-k but at least they take naps. I honestly did not want to send him this year but he's been begging to go and the hubby wanted him to go too. I was outnumbered. We live in a small town and it seems like everyone here goes to pre-k so we thought it was a good idea for him to get to know his peers. I did pretty well until the third day and then I broke down in the car after dropping him off. I don't really think I cried because of my child, I think my tears were for all the other little ones bawling their eyes out. I imagine it's a hard transition for those kiddos. It's only been a week but so far Carter loves it and asks daily when he gets to go back. I ask him every day what he did in school and I always get the same response, "I don't remember." I read something the other day about ways you are supposed to ask your child about school to get them to answer. What I've been asking was too broad so I needed to be specific. I asked what his favorite and least favorite thing was that he did, where do you play the most at recess, who did you sit by today, etc. You know what? It didn't work. He replied "I don't remember" to every single question. Oh well, I'll just keep trying. The night before school started I tried to convince him to stay home with me.

Me: "Can you just stay home with mommy this year?"
Carter: "Nope. How am I going to get big if I don't go to school to learn?"
Me: "I'll teach you."
Carter: "You're not a teacher."
Me: "I can learn how to teach and you can stay home."
Carter: "You wouldn't be a very good teacher."

Gee...thanks son. Way to bring a mom down. I'm not gonna lie...he's probably right. 
 
 
 
 
 

Camden and I jumped right into his new therapy this past week. I went in head first and came up gasping for air. His therapist told me the goal was to do at least 50% of it daily. Ha. I was going to do 100% because that's just how I am. It's all or nothing. I just knew it would be easy to get it all done and I would feel like super mom. Hmmmm...it didn't quite work out the way I had planned it. All you other moms out there doing ND therapy go ahead and laugh at me. You know it's no joke. This program is pretty intense and I applaud anyone who can get it done completely every single day. I was lucky if I got 40% of it done. It's definitely going to take some time for both Camden and I to get used to it. He gets pretty upset with me during some of the exercises and then tries to escape during the others. I still think this was the right direction to go and will be good in the long run. Many people have asked what kind of things we do with ND therapy and I promise to write a post about as soon as I figure out what the heck I'm doing. Hopefully this week will go a little smoother now that we are settling into a routine. 
 

Today was opening day of dove hunting season and we always have friends over for the weekend of Labor Day. They come and stay the night and it's a weekend of good company, laughs, hunting, and great food. Carter is still too young to hunt (and really has no interest yet) but loves playing with the kids that come. Camden loved being outside with everyone and actually let others hold him without screaming like crazy. He's been going through some mommy attachment issues. I love Labor Day weekend because I know that Fall is just around the corner and that's my favorite time of year. It's been a crazy week, but a good week!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

8 comments:

  1. So glad Carter is loving school! It can be really hard to let go if they hate it. It's good practice for big time school next year too.

    Cam looks like so much more of a boy than a baby now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was not happy about school this week. :/ I don't think he realized he had to go every day. Lol. Hopefully he'll adjust soon!

      Delete
  2. That's awesome that Carter is loving school so much! I can never get over how tiny the Kindergartners look when I see them.
    I am really looking forward to reading your post on the ND Therapy you are doing with Camden, I don't think I have heard about it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost cried over the therapy yesterday! Camden hates most of it and it makes it so hard. I know it will take time, but I hope he starts to get used to it. He screamed during most of his therapy with EI so I don't know why I thought this would be different!

      Delete
  3. Oh Carter is such a big boy! So glad he loves school.

    And what a big boy Camden is sitting in that chair! So handsome! Good luck with the ND therapy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our boys are growing up so fast, huh?! And now Baxter is starting to walk! Getting so big!

      Delete